My Kitchen

This is a photo of my kitchen from a low vantage point to show off my recently mopped concrete floor. It’s taken from the interior wall looking out towards my large bay window. I decided to share this photo with you to give you a little look into what’s important in a volunteer’s life. At first, I didn’t think much of the photo. It’s nothing special and will never make a calendar. Although after a closer look, I began to see how many objects from my daily activities seem to be present in the snapshot.

Computer with iTunes

I am always surprised how much I rely on my computer as a Peace Corps volunteer. However, it is the year 2011 and so PC related emails are part of the job. In the photo, you can see that my iTunes are open. I’m always listening to music. Music is an important ingredient to my cooking style. Needless to say, I listen to music every night while I make dinner.

Buckets for Leaks in the Roof

During the rainy season, I have to strategically set-up 4 or 5 cut up plastic soda bottles and a large basin to catch the leaks that come through my roof. My family has “repaired” the leak multiple times but still waters comes in every time it rains. The basin and cut up plastic soda bottles are an essential part of insuring that my kitchen doesn't flood.

Argentina

The national flag of Argentina hangs over my kitchen windows. The USA flag hangs in my bedroom. Argentina was the first place I got to know well in Latin America and will always be one of my favorite places in the world.

Guitar

In the far left corner of my kitchen rests an old classical guitar. I rescued it from being discarded and hope to repair it. Once repaired, I have hopes of giving it to a kid in Quiaquizuyal, a far out village that I’ve mentioned before, who currently plays a 4 string out of tune guitar and is in desperate need of a properly playing instrument. I brought down my own guitar after Christmas vacation and play it often.

Cardboard Box of Healthy Stuff

There is a cardboard box hiding behind a blow up mattress box. This box was given to us as a gift from a local NGO. It is full of toothbrushes and toothpaste. Megan and I plan to use them as incentives in the upcoming school year. We plan on putting on a competition amongst our schools and the toothbrushes and toothpaste will serve as great Healthy Schools prizes.

Blow up Mattress

The box in front of the cardboard healthy stuff prizes is a blow up mattress. Ironically, the only person who ever seems to spend the night in my little house is Damian. Damian is my 6’7” friend who doesn’t fit on the blow up mattress, as it is only 6’2” in length. He also has to completely duck down just to get through my 5’8” door frame.

Broom and Dustpan

These are two essential items for living in Guatemala. Guatemala has this phenomenon called polvo or dust. Polvo is everywhere. My entire house is always very dusty. I have to sweep my house daily due to the accumulation of polvo. Anyone who has ever visited Guatemala or any country that has a dry and a rainy season can attest to this dusty phenomenon.

CamelBak

Hanging on my kitchen chair is a camelbak that my father was nice enough to bring me in February during his visit. A camelbak is a plastic bladder that holds, in my case, 3 liters of water. It has come in handy many times. I use it every time I go to school. Some of my walks are up to 4 hours one way and so hydration is key especially underneath the scorching Guatemalan sun.

Comments