June 2013 - Despedidas and Bogotá

Well, it's been more than a minute since my last post. I'm currently writing this from an academic building at the New School in Manhattan, New York but I'll get to that soon enough.

I'd like to first share with you some pictures of my last days in Colombia . . .

These photos are from my town "despedidas" - going away parties. The ones from the pool party were with my English class and the others are from my MUEVETE class. Both of these classes are highlighted in this blog entry.

Domino

Helping Marta with her camera.

Preparing the meat.






DANCE!
 MUEVETE!
And again!

The next group of photos are from my "despedida" at the Peace Corps office. In true Latin American fashion, I had to "dar palabras" or give some closing thoughts. 
JFK.

Yes, I'm still talking . . .

Finally, I rang the s&#$ out of that bell. 



Thank you Peace Corps Colombia. It was a wild 38 months with the US Peace Corps but I'd do it again. I could write more about what the Peace Corps has meant to me but I think I'll just leave it at that. Gracias!
¡Thanks to all my costeño friends!

Thanks Eric and Drew for being great Response Amigos. Eric, I hope that Fiji is treating you well and know that Drew and I fully expect you to send us some warm weather come January!

*     *     *     *     *

I COS'ed (Close of Service) from the Peace Corps on June 13th, 2013. The following day I left for Bogotá. I spent the next four days and three nights exploring Bogotá. The following photos are from this amazing stop over in the city of my birth.  I was fortunate enough to spend time with my College advisor, professor, and friend - Michael LaRosa. 

 Professor LaRosa
Anthony Bourdain ate here. Now, it's a tourist trap. 

LaRosa's abode in Bog.

 This is FANA. FANA is the orphanage where my sister and I were adopted from. I visited their "new" location which is located on the outskirts of the city. Their "old" location where I was actually adopted from is located more in the downtown area. While in Bog, I stayed in a friend's apartment. Thanks Shay! Ironically, Shay's apartment is no more than three blocks away from where the original FANA building was that I was actually adopted from in 1987. Crazy, right?
 FANA!
The Florence Crittenton League is a local Massachusetts adoption agency that worked with my parents to make my adoption possible.

Around 10,000 children have been adopted from FANA. This is just one of the many moving file cabinets that house the thousands upon thousands of files. I was luck enough to see my file, although due to Colombian law I was unable to make photo copies or take it home with me. 

Since it's opening, six children have grown up and come back to adopt from FANA. There are FANA children in Europe, Australia, the US, and even in Beverly, Massachusetts.

This is portrait of Mercedes. She founded Fana. Her passing was deeply mourned at the orphanage and in the FANA community. Her daughters still work at FANA. 


The orphanage itself is very big. Every hallway was filled with these type of picture frames. They're filled with photos of FANA children and their new families. Truly something you just have to see.


I was also able to meet and talk with some of the nurses. I spoke with two nurses who have been working at FANA since 1983, so it's more than likely that those women held me when I was an infant. Below is the picture!


The whole FANA experience was beautiful. It was so surreal that I still don't believe it ever actually happened. It was a long time coming but I feel so grateful to have had the opportunity to go back  and get to know FANA. 

Lift up to the top of Monserrate. 

Going up to Monserrate

The city. 

Are my eyes open?



Downtown.

STOP!


Bog.
 Missing that Andean Sun!


I want to thank Mike LaRosa for taking the time to accompany me throughout the city. 
Gracias Mike!


The following links are to music videos from Monserrate. They're from an awesome Colombian band - BOMBA ESTERO. Check em out!



Colombia has and will always be a big part of my life. Leaving Colombia was one of the most emotional and difficult things I've ever had to do. Serving, as a Peace Corps Volunteer, in the country of my birth was not something every kid gets the chance to do. I look forward to returning to Colombia and hope that one day my sister, Diana, will come with me to visit FANA. I hope that you've enjoyed these pictures and promise to get to my new life in New York with the New School in the next entry!








Comments

Post a Comment