Daudy's Graduation

On May 6th 2011, my host sister Daudy Mariela Alvarado Villatoro graduated from University in Xela with a degree as a social worker.She did her final thesis women's participation in Malacas regarding municipal projects. It was a big day for the family. Megan and I accompanied at least 30 members of the family to her graduation and after the ceremony we took this picture. She can now be referred to as a Licenciada, which warrants respect throughout the country. I hope that her newly acquired title will allow her to get a well paying job and maybe even move out of her parent's house. It was a very happy day for the entire family and I've never seen her parent's look more proud. Daudy now joins a small percent of people who have the opportunity to graduate from University in Guatemala and I hope she uses her new title to better not only better our community but the country as a whole.

Comments